Query on Scorm Setting

Anything about what happens on the user and teacher side
nickda

Query on Scorm Setting

Post by nickda »

Hi have a query regarding SCORM.

We are currently trying to setup a self learning quiz using Captivate as Storyline isn't very good when it comes to questions within SCORM.

Our issue is that we would like to view the SCORM results students have obtained. Currently the built in test works in this way, where the tutor can review what the student have done we can't get Captivate/ SCORM to display each question. Does anyone have any ideas how we could fix this, maybe some specific settings in captivate ?

thanks

Nick
canelli
FormaLms Guru
Version: forma.lms 2.0

Re: Query on Scorm Setting

Post by canelli »

Quick Response:
with SCORM TEST , the LO send to platform only points calculated by it's self and the status 'failed' or 'passed'
Buildin tests , that are platform objects register all studend answer and points obtained.

Full Response
with a SCORM tests , you can track the base track data ( status= 'passed or 'failed' ) and data as user response with the extedn track part called "User interactions" . In a user interaction trac record a LO can send questions and aswers given by student within the stauts of each question.
First you must check if Capitvate can send "interactions data" , second you must check is the interactions data are stored in raw tracking data . The raw tracking are stored as blob in XML format
Cercate nel forum le riposte prima di chiedere. Check the forum before posting
---------------
Claudio Anelli
Joint Technologies - Sistemi avanzati per l'information technology

http://www.joint-tech.com
---------------
max
FormaLms Guru
Version: forma.lms 2.4

Post by max »

Hi Nick,
actually I find Storyline quite good, but I suppose Captivate is even better. Anyway: if you mean showing scorm SCORES into the Gradebook management section, then you just need to click on the "Add scorm results" button. That way, you can see each individual score. In FormaLms we have improved that feature. The upcoming release 1.2 will improve it further.

If you already did that and want to see individual answers given by each student, currently that feature is not available in Docebo or Forma Lms. We analysed this issue in the past: it's possible to write a modification that achieves that goal, though not easy and a bit tricky. As Claudio said above, raw tracking data are indeed stored in XML format in the db, but extracting them and displaying them requires coding.
---------------------
Massimiliano Ferrari
Elearnit - Elearning e Knowledge Management
https://www.elearnit.net
https://www.linkedin.com/in/massimilianoferrari
m.ferrari[at]elearnit.net
docebogal
FormaLms User

Post by docebogal »

2 questions:
*where (specifically) is the SCORM interaction data stored in raw tracking data (as blob in XML format) that you mention?
*Can you advise on how you went about writing a modification in the past - pointing out the "tricky" parts?
I have a programmer that is bold enough to pursue this, but doesn't know where to look. Any information you have would be most helpful...

Also, You also mention that Forma LMS improves this feature - how close does it get to displaying the test data (beyond just status='passed' or 'failed')

I find this issue critical to functioning well with Adobe and Articulate software, as many want to use the 3rd party software to create tests over content inside the LO.

Thanks for your help!
max
FormaLms Guru
Version: forma.lms 2.4

Post by max »

Hi DoceboGal,

what we did was improving the Gradebook report and how Forma tracks scorm objects. Maybe you never noticed, but Docebo Gradebook report
- didn't display teachers' scores
- had some problems with the total numbers of passed/not passed
- scorm scores didn't pass through to the Final Score column
Forma fixed those issues and some other ones, you find everything in the changelog. So, what we did in Forma was just improving how the Lms displays the scores.

I agree that displaying users answers even for Scorm objects is very important. Somebody asked us about that a couple of years ago and it's a recurring request. As Claudio said, those data are stored in the db as raw data: that's why it's tricky, they are not in a specific table (at least that's what I understand, not a developer).
---------------------
Massimiliano Ferrari
Elearnit - Elearning e Knowledge Management
https://www.elearnit.net
https://www.linkedin.com/in/massimilianoferrari
m.ferrari[at]elearnit.net
docebogal
FormaLms User

Post by docebogal »

Thanks Max for the info on the Gradebook upgrades!

Claudio, can you (or someone else) help move be closer to answering the question,
"where (specifically) is the SCORM interaction data stored in raw tracking data (as blob in XML format) that you mention?"
Also, can you advise on how you went about writing a modification in the past - pointing out the "tricky" parts?
As I said earlier, I have a programmer that is bold enough to pursue this, but doesn't know where to look. Any information you have would be most helpful...
Thanks, I appreciate it!
canelli
FormaLms Guru

Post by canelli »

Hi docebogal
"where (specifically) is the SCORM interaction data stored in raw tracking data (as blob in XML format) that you mention?"
the raw tracking data are stored in table learning_scorm_tracking as an xml document .
The interactions data sent by SCO are only stored in the xmldata field.

In previously version of FormaLms the interaction results was visibile in scorm user statistics. Now this part is disabled due to a poor and buggy implementation.

If you will improve component and would share the solution with our community, your contribution will be greatly appreciated
---------------
Claudio Anelli

---------------
docebogal
FormaLms User

Post by docebogal »

Hi Anellic,
I appreciate your response and the info. I'll let you know if we're able to do anything with the data to aid the experience.
thanks again!
aquarius

Post by aquarius »

Hello, any news on this topic? I would also appreciate if Forma Lms had the capability to track the answers in the scorm objects...
canelli
FormaLms Guru

Post by canelli »

At this time this is not on our roadmap.
If you want to develop this feature yourself and share it with the community, your effort will be appreciated .
If not, you can sponsor the feature. You can also find other community members that might want to sponsor the feature with you.
---------------
Claudio Anelli

---------------